Monday, September 7, 2009

Gendered Objects

We all brought in our gendered objects on Thursday and I thought that was fun and interesting. The assignment was to bring something in that reminded us of either the female or male gender. Alot of us brought in things that we thought were more gender oriented than they actually are. Instead of being just for one gender, for example a bra, they could be used by both genders, and could be differentiated by color or smell. For example, some of us brought in chapstick or nailpolish for the female gender. Some males do use chapstick and nailpolish but in more neutral/natural colors, flavors and smells. Another thing I found interesteing was a conversation I had between me and a couple people in my area. Andy said that he had forgot to bring something in on Thursday because he had brought it originally on Tuesday. I looked at him and saw that he had a purse, and said, " yes you do, you have a purse." So whereas I saw that as a female gendered item he saw it as a unisex item. Everyone has their own perspective on what's female and male things. And also men used to wear purses so maybe it'll come back in! Gender roles in society are obviously constantly changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment