Tuesday, December 1, 2009

And When You Leave, Take Your Pictures With You

Jo Carrillo wrote a very powerful poem about race and privilege. “White women” that may have pictures of minority labor workers on the wall may not have them up for the right reasons or not understand the actual things they experience. Instead of helping people for reasons of fixing the problems, they may do it for show or for their personal benefit which are the wrong reasons. I know whenever I volunteer I hope to help and change people’s lives for the better but it definitely gives me a personal benefit. I thought the saying we discussed, “We take what we like but do not acknowledge or except what we don’t like,” was an interesting view. When I thought about it more, although we probably wouldn’t want to admit it, a lot of people do that, whether it is because we actually are or just act oblivious towards it.

No comments:

Post a Comment