Monday, November 9, 2009

The Good Wife's Guide

I think it was October 15th that we looked at “The Good Wife’s Guide.” It really frustrated me. What wife wants to be told what to do like that?? I mean I guess it makes it easy, you don’t have to think for yourself at all. The attitude the author gave out was as if women were put on earth to bow down to men. Here are just some random quotes from it and some of my thoughts:

“Remember, his topics of conversation are more important that yours”…fuck you. That’s ridiculous. No, I don’t need you to tell me how to clean, nor to be happy when my husband get’s home. I’ll be happy if and when I want.

“Make sure you prepare yourself.”- I’m not a sex slave

“Never complain about anything he does.”- Ridiculous. He’s perfect obviously.

“Know your place.”- Which Is the most demeaning thing I’ve ever heard.

I can’t believe people can write stuff like that and believe it… and not feel morally wrong. I watched Mona Lisa’s Smile this last weekend and it reminded me of this. The girls at Wellsely College all just got an education to have an education. None of them wanted to do anything with their degree because they wanted to be housewives. It was very frustrating for “Mona Lisa” because she was a successful unmarried woman and didn’t like the way the husbands thought of their wives as cooks and maids. I’m glad the perspective of women in homes has changed a lot since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment