Friday, November 27, 2009

Oppression

In the Discussion on November 17th about Oppression, my group talked about women’s choices and used the analogy of Pepsi verses Coke. As I thought about it more, I thought this was a really interesting view. Not only in the perspective of an analogy of women’s choices, but looking at it in a literal way: I don’t even like coke or pepsi, or even pop in general. So is that why girls take on the role of a tom boy or transsexual because they don’t like any of the choices, whether male or female so they make their own version? Males are oppressed in certain ways but I don’t think it affects them in the ways or degrees it affects women. Males are treated as inherently aggressive and violent. If they don’t follow the certain social roles given to them then they may be seen as a “wimp” or “sissy.” However women are discriminated against in bigger ways such as job opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment