Friday, November 27, 2009

Title IX

Title IX is a federal law that was made to “prohibit sex discrimination in any educational program or activity at any educational institution that is a recipient of federal funds.” I think this law was made with great intentions but in the end sometimes defeats the purpose of what it was intended to do like what was said in the presentation specifically with sports. I want to create equality among female and male athletes but I don’t want to decrease the amount of men’s programs because there isn’t as much money in the women’s programs. We should create more women’s programs and maybe try to find places in the men’s system where maybe we could cut a few dollars here and there without causing a problem. I know specifically, I would love to have a lacrosse club. Women’s lacrosse doesn’t need that many things so it wouldn’t increase the money as drastically as maybe another sport would. But I definitely don’t think we should take athletic opportunities from men because in a way that is just as bad as inequality among the sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment